Sympatico goes MSN

Duncan MacGregor dbmacg-j4iOX5ZKO4mumhQq9Hcxfg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 15 12:00:41 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 15 June 2004 06:52 am, James Knott wrote:
> David Colebatch wrote:

> I pay $40.50 (CDN) per month for that.  Canada has always had a good
> communications system.  In fact the first "long distance" call took
> place here, in an experiment by A.G. Bell.

The first long distance call was performed between Toronto and Hamilton
by Abner Rosebrugh, using telegraph lines for the purpose. Abner Rosebrugh
owned the first telephone company in Toronto (The Toronto Telephone Dispatch
Company). He held patents in telephony and ultimately sold his company to
Bell.