Royal Pain

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 14 17:58:23 UTC 2004

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Jim Rootham wrote:

> My interpretation of the tea leaves is that it was an application
> upgrade that failed.  COBOL programme at a guess.  There was an

An article in one of the local papers confirmed it was a code commit to a
production system that broke stuff.  What happened to the 3 stage testing
that finance is famous for?

> inadequate test suite. That got fixed relatively quickly.  There was a
> system design problem in that the data validation was time sensitive so
> that once they lost a days processing time processing required manual
> intervention.  There are not enough hands to manually process.  This
> caused further delays and meant the next days processing also required
> manual intervention.  They eventually got out of the loop by being able
> to deal with the weekend load by hand.

I'm not surprising anyone by proclaiming that this system is seriously
broken.  I feel the biggest problem with IT today is a lack of
professionalism (but not necessarily from the technical staff).

This should not have happened.

Probes on their way to Mars should not get full filesystems either.

I strongly suspect pressure from above is causing many IT staff to have to
rush jobs that should be done with care.

Cheers,
	Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, rbrockway-cFo9iiqjkw8eIZ0/mPfg9Q at public.gmane.org