Sympatico goes MSN

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 14 17:42:37 UTC 2004

On Monday 14 June 2004 12:59, JoeHill wrote:

> Now, as to whether there is a moral/political/philosophical reason, based
> on this partnership, to switch providers, that is a whole other enchilada.
> I have to say that the thought of my monthly bill contributing in even the
> most miniscule of ways to the MS coffers does make me a little
> uncomfortable, at least in the sense that I would rather support a more
> local solution, like IStop which David mentioned.

I find this quote appropriate:

  "Anyone who slaps a 'this page is best viewed with Browser X' label on a Web
   page appears to be yearning for the bad old days, before the Web, when you
   had very little chance of reading a document written on another computer,
   another word processor, or another network."
   -Tim Berners-Lee

There's no question that Microsoft's goal is to lock as much of the Internet
as possible into their properietary technologies, they have enough money in
the bank that it's relatively trivial for them to persuade companies like
Sympatico to take such backwards steps.

It sounds like an ideal time to leave Sympatico.  If enough users leave them
and make note of why they are leaving (lack of support for non-MS clients)
they might think twice before taking additional backwards steps.

I left Sympatico a long time ago but I have several family members who will be
switching this year as well.