advise please on hardware: optical mouse and HD adapter

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 14 14:59:53 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-12 at 00:17, Anton Markov wrote:

> Hi Zbigniew,
>
> Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> > We are doing ordering of the system through the Dell's web site.
> Make sure you know the exact model of the motherboard and other
> components (video, sound, LAN). While most new systems should work,
> certain boards (especially all-in-ones) such as ATI motherboards are
> problematic under Linux.

Dell is pretty good about Linux capable machines, so I wouldn't worry
too much.

> > Second: Do I need "SATA Integrated PCI Non-RAID adapter for 1 SATA HDD"?
> > I do not know what for it is. My guess is that it is used with SATA HD,
> > which we are going to order.
> If you are getting a SATA harddrive, then you need a SATA
> controller/adapter to use it. "Non-RAID" means it won't allow you to
> turn two drives into a RAID array, but that doesn't matter with just one
> drive (and is best done with the software driver anyway). As far as
> Linux compatibility goes, I believe the SATA drivers are still in beta,
> though I could be mistaken. However, I hear they work well.
>
> I don't know which SATA controllers are supported under Linux, so I
> would find out the _exact_ model of the SATA controller on this
> "adapter" and then do a search on <http://google.com/linux>  for it.
> Just make sure you are reading up-to-date information; this is a new
> technology, and support is quickly improving.

I believe SATA support is available (and not entirely unstable) in 2.6.
Having said that, I haven't personally played with it myself.

Regards,
--
Marcus Brubaker <marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>