Streaming (listening on the web)

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 13 22:13:54 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:13:21AM -0400, JoeHill wrote

> I'm more curious as to why in the name of everything that is Holy
> would someone listen to that pap. 'Soft Rock'?!
>
> That stuff 'll kill yer brain faster than crack.

  To say the least, it doesn't turn my crank either, but there's no need
to trash other people's musical tastes, or political views, or religion,
or vim vs emacs (or does that fall under religion?).  I'll be turning 53
in October, so I grew up in the 50's and 60's.  My musical tastes come
to a dead halt with the British Invasion.  I prefer pre-Beatles rock,
adult pop (Tony Bennett, Andy Williams, Perry Como, Percy Faith, etc.)
and bit of big band.

  My favourite internet radio site is http://www.live365.com which
broadcasts in PLS (steaming MP3?) format that XMMS easily handles.  It
has tons of stations, and there's sure to be something in your faourite
niche.  There are stations from 16 up to 64 kbits, and maybe higher.
Being on dialup, I'm limited to 24 kbits, or 32 kbits on a good night.

  Right now, I'm anxiously waiting for Bell to complete the switchover
on my phone service.  When I moved into my current condo in January,
Futureway was the phone provider, but I was told that Bell would be
available RSN (Real Soon Now).  Back in January, I didn't realize that
RSN was going to be almost 6 months, or I might have succumbed and gotten
Futureway or Sympatico (with Rogers cable being an extremely distant 3rd
choice) for broadband to listen to some of the higher-speed.  With Bell
as my phone provider, I'll be able to get back on IStop.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did