dir flag for sftp get command?

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 13 18:41:49 UTC 2004

Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, Chris Aitken wrote:
>
>> Is there a flag for the get command in sftp that will allow it to
>> transfer a directory and its contents (incl. subdirectories)? I read
>> the entire man page for sftp and oddly it wasn't in there.
>

>   Use scp -r

OK -- I was hoping to use ftp (or sftp) rahter than learning a new
command, but here goes. I read the man page for scp -- looks
straightforward.

When I enter the correct password I get,

[chris-RMRJWkH6aXE at public.gmane.org chris]$ scp -r chris-Q0ErXNX1RuZALGUKhjNAFw at public.gmane.org:/home/chris
chris-RMRJWkH6aXE at public.gmane.org:/home/chris/p733buona800
chris-Q0ErXNX1RuZALGUKhjNAFw at public.gmane.org's password:
ssh: connect to host a800 port 22: Connection refused
lost connection

When I enter an incorrect password, I get,
[chris-RMRJWkH6aXE at public.gmane.org chris]$ scp -r chris-Q0ErXNX1RuZALGUKhjNAFw at public.gmane.org:/home/chris
chris-RMRJWkH6aXE at public.gmane.org:/home/chris/p733buona800
chris-Q0ErXNX1RuZALGUKhjNAFw at public.gmane.org's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
chris-Q0ErXNX1RuZALGUKhjNAFw at public.gmane.org's password:

 From this I surmise that scp (ssh) is not contesting the password -- it
just won't let me in.

I did get ftp to do this once (though in this case ftp is not present on
this debian box, and is only on the rh8.0 on 7.3 box) -- I tricked it
with wildcards or forward slashes or something but, alas, I didn't
document (at least somewhere that I could find later).

Chris