MP3 devices and Linux

talexb-SBdzbUvMQDunS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org talexb-SBdzbUvMQDunS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 11 18:44:22 UTC 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, William O'Higgins wrote:

> Does anyone on the list use an MP3 device with Linux, and if so, which
> one and how do you find it?  I am interested in using a small (footprint
> and data requirements) MP3 player, but I don't want to have to use M$ to
> access it.  Thanks.
> --

I use a Neuros MP3 recorder that has a 20G drive. I've been using it to
record chorus rehearsals (northernlightschorus.com) for the last four
months. The drive is about 8% full.

Someone in the chorus found out about it and E-Mailed me the web site
(http://www.neurosaudio.com/) for me to review the specs.

This one has a USB port and gets automounted when I plug it into my
Mandrake 10 Community Release PC -- 2.6.3 kernel.

At 64kB/sec the MP3 quality is useful -- at 160lB/sec it's quite good.
It's also possible to record to a WAV if you prefer.

The earlier versions of the firmware were weak -- machine would lock up,
try to reformat the drive. Current version of 2.12 is solid. The machine
can be a little picky -- don't try to interrupt it while it's 'busy'. The
USB transfer rate is s--l--o--w but apart from that great unit.

Alex