The requirement of a computer as HTTPd server

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 10 18:34:26 UTC 2004

At 04:58 PM 06/08/2004, Louie wrote:
>As I mentioned before, I would like to build a home network. I have two
>computers, One is pretty old, the other is new (with windows xp and
>redhat9.0). I want to use the old one as a (httpd, dhcpd, router and file
>server. but I am not sure if it is qualified. The hardware information is

You shouldn't have any problem with the hardware unless the web server
starts getting very busy serving pages. While moving two SGI Indy computers
to a new building, I once set up a temporary machine to take over as web
server, SMTP/POP mail server, and mailing list using a 486DX2-66MHz machine
that had a 100Meg hard drive and only 8Meg of RAM. Needless to say it
wasn't running X (didn't need to). That was back in RedHat 4.2 days. Just
goes to show how much you can do with even older hardware.

Cheers!

Packet:ve3syb-XXPEJ3/fxIc at public.gmane.org#con.on.ca.na|  Try to assimilate the world!"