linux box as wireless access point

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 10 14:21:16 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:07:52AM -0400, WK wrote:
> I remember I saw something about turning a linux box into a wireless
> access point ... but don't seem to be able to find it.
>
> What I want is to plug a usb wireless nic to my linux box, and use the
> linux box as an access point.  Is that possible?

Probably not.  From what I have seen, only a select few wireless cards
(and sometimes only specific revisions of such a card) are able to have
access point software loaded.

If you just buy a random card, chances are pretty good it won't work
with linux at all yet, and very high that it can't be an access point.

A quick google search for 'linux access point' finds things like:

http://hostap.epitest.fi/
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-wap.html
http://oob.freeshell.org/nzwireless/LWAP-HOWTO.html
http://www.personaltelco.net/index.cgi/LinuxAccessPoint
http://linuxap.ksmith.com/
etc.

That was just 5 out of the first 6 hits.

Lennart Sorensen