switch and hub question

Charly Baker cmb-h7HJ8Pof2EbbR28j2ZUwYgC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 8 14:15:20 UTC 2004

On Monday June 7 2004 8:43 pm, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

There are some good reasons to prefer a hub to a switch for a home network,
the most important to me is that if there is a problem and I have to diagnose
it one of the first things I want to do is to plug into the hub and watch the
traffic between the machines that are having the problems.  You lose this
option with a switch.  Even if you aren't diagnosing a particular problem it
can be very interesting, educational, and sometimes even useful just to sit
and watch the traffic.  It beats TV by a long shot.

Charly Baker