Swap meet / Install fest thoughts....

Scott Elcomb Scott.Elcomb-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 8 01:35:36 UTC 2004

> As part of this, or as a separate thing could do a Linux and/or FreeBSD
> install fest.
>
> Thoughts? Opinions? Interest?

Someday, I'm going to install Gentoo.  :)

There's something I was thinking about earlier, that's sort of in line
with the topic but aimed more at the general public.

If a few machines could be brought together,  a public "lan party" might
demonstrate the power of modern linux systems (as compared to ... that
other...) while everybody gets to have a little fun.

My little 600Mhz FC1 (w. nVidia GeForce2) machine seems to be able to
handle Unreal Tournament 2004 (demo) well enough, and games are one of
the primaries keeping the public away (I think).  If gamers come to
linux, (again, my opinion) interest in linux desktop will climb.

(Well, that and more RAD tools)

Obviously, a fair amount of planning and some advertising would be
needed.  :(

Just a thought.

Regards,
- Scott.