swithch and hub question

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 7 17:33:15 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 01:04:19PM -0400, Ivan Avery Frey wrote:
> A cross-over cable is a definite must have if you want to connect two
> computers directly, but I wonder if somebody could correct my impression
> that newer computers had autosensing MDI/MDIX ports.

Newer Macintosh computers all come with autosensing ethernet ports.
My 800MHz G4 PowerBook has an autosensing GigE adapter in it.  I love
not having to worry about what ethernet cable to use when I plug it
into anything else, and am continually surprised at how long it's taking
for autosensing to become the norm.

(I read The Humane Interface a few months ago, and it's had some lasting
impact regarding my opinion of an "acceptable" interface)

;)

--
taa
/*eof*/