swithch and hub question

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 7 16:06:36 UTC 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, hui xu wrote:
> 1.should I use a switch or hub between them? I tried
> directly connect these two computers without switch or
> hub. It seem that this structure doesn't work. both
> light on these network card are not on.

What you need is a "crossover cable".  Yes, you can directly connect two
computers, but you need a specially-wired cable for it.

(Suggestion:  buy a crossover cable that's some distinctive color, like
orange, and *never* buy a regular cable that color.)

You *do* need a switch or hub if the number of computers grows beyond two;
there's no three-ended equivalent of a crossover cable.  Hubs are cheaper,
switches perform better (but unless you're doing something demanding, it's
unlikely to matter in a home network).

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org