TLUG Talk June 8

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 6 23:29:46 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 05:33:06PM -0400, steven meyer wrote
> Yes, I will make this available on my web site.

  Does this include stuff like a router/firewall?

  Another "appliance" that would be usefull would be one with Mozilla
(browser/email/news) plus OpenOffice+AbiWord+Gnumeric plus Xine.  This
would cover just about everything a newbie could want.  It could be
slapped onto a used computer that XP would crawl on.  Use TWM or some
other lightweight window manager.

  I think that the "killer desktop" for linux would be something that
makes use of computers that XP has problems with.  The really big
opportunity will be MS Longhorn.  The TCO of Windows will include $1000+
for a new computer.  That will hurt them.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did