Web Based Groupware for Linux

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 3 03:53:46 UTC 2004

I've been looking at web based groupware packages and..well, frankly I'm
floored at how many are out there and just how many of them look quite
good.  So, I'd like to ask what people's opinions/experiences are with
the many packages out there.  Just a quick list of the ones I've found:

http://www.egroupware.org/
http://www.opengroupware.org/
http://www.moregroupware.org/
http://phpgroupware.org/
http://www.phprojekt.com/
http://www.sherpath.org/
http://tikiwiki.org/

I'm looking at a number of factors.  First it needs to have strong
collaborative features.  E.G. shared calendaring, address books, etc.
Things like a trouble ticket module would also be good.

Ease of use for non-tech people is important, which includes a nice
looking interface.  Customization is also important such as being able
to (easily) add company logos/names at appropriate places, possibly
selecting from a variety of skins/themes and being to selectively
enable/disable modules.

A critical feature is being able to run several distinct services on a
single machine (a la virtual hosts).  The ability to use native clients
(such as Evolution, KMail or even Outlook) is nice but not a strict
requirement.

So what experiences do people have with these packages?  Anyone to look
at in particular?  Anyone to avoid?  Without having actually installed
anything I like the look of the eGroupware suite.  It seems to have the
features and active development.  OpenGroupware looks promising
(particularly having native client support) but I'm concerned about how
strong their development community is.  Plus the lack of significant
documentation in (non-babelfished) english is troubling.  TikiWiki looks
to have everything (including the kitchen sink) in terms of features.

Regards,
--
Marcus Brubaker <marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>