sound issue

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 3 00:12:50 UTC 2004

Taavi Burns <taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 06:07:44PM -0400, William O'Higgins wrote:
> > >What distro and version?
> > Debian, 2.4 kernel
> > >Which sound system (OSS or ALSA)?
> > OSS
> > >Which volume are you trying to change, PCM or Master?
> > Any, I don't know how to change the volume - xmms used to do it, and now
> > it doesn't.
> >
> > Emma suggested looking into aumix, which is not installed.  What I'm
> > asking is, where are the configuration settings for sound on Linux?
> > Thanks.
>
> Technically, in /dev/mixer, but you don't want to go about mucking with that
> yourself.  You want to use a mixer application such as aumix.  kmix comes with
> KDE if you're using that, or (I think) gmix if you run GNOME.  You could also
> use cmix if you need to adjust things from the console rather than the GUI.
>
> Also, if you're having problems getting any sound at all, be sure to check the
> wiring to your speakers.  ;)

And, of course, check the permissions of the sound devices.  On Debian, these
would usually be:

  lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 Dec 30 20:35 audio -> /dev/audio0
  crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   4 Dec 30 20:35 audio0
  crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   7 Aug 29  2002 audioctl
  lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 Dec 30 20:35 dsp -> /dev/dsp0
  crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 Dec 30 20:35 dsp0
  lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 Dec 30 20:35 mixer -> /dev/mixer0
  crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   0 Dec 30 20:35 mixer0
  crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   1 Dec 30 20:35 sequencer

These are all in /dev.  That's a trimmed list obtained via a quick grep of
/dev for audio so I'm not 100% sure if it's complete or if they're all
strictly necessary.  If you want to be sure, do some reading at the OSS
and/or ALSA web sites.

Also check that you are a member of group audio.

HTH,

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada