'Linux 101' training

Mike Kallies mgjk-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 2 18:58:29 UTC 2004

William Park wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 07:54:34PM -0400, Terry Tanski wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Anyone have any suggestions for formal 'Linux 101' training? I'm looking
>>for a week or less course for no more than $1500 bucks. It would be nice
>>if this training led up to an LPIC. Anyone had any experience with Polar
>>Bear (http://www.polarbear.com)?
>

> IBM?

(whoops, my reply bounced, need to reconfigure Exim, let's try this
again...)

IBM spun them off a little while ago, they're independent again.
They've got good machines, good instructors etc.  I've never been
thrilled about any week-long in-class training courses, but if you
already know a bunch of Linux stuff and you just want to be able to
broaden your knowledge to write the exam, you could do worse.

One step better would be to form a study group.  Get a bunch of people
to meet once a week in somebody's livingroom or something, discuss a
chapter of a common book, run through some exercises, then go for beer
and talk about all kinds of Linux and/or computer industry junk.  It's
slower, and there's always somebody who doesn't do their reading, but
who cares? it's professional experience, expands your contacts and helps
you learn the material.

Hmmm... if people are interested, I might try to start something like
this up in a few weeks.

-Mike