USB Pen Drive User

Scott Elcomb Scott.Elcomb-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 2 01:41:48 UTC 2004

> > So you do a checkout before you leave on the train, then commit when you reach
> > your destination.
>
> I do quite a few file exchanges whilst on the train. SVN would be no
> help there. I also move quite a few binary files across several
> platforms, something that versioning systems don't do well. I think I'm
> still recovering from how SCCS did binary version management (hint: it
> used uuencode and diff.)

I spend a good deal of time using GO.  Having the repository on the key
would let me finish one or two thoughts while I'm traveling, and since
(if it's possible,) the key can be plugged into any system with USB
support (all the ones I need), I can reach it from about as many
locations as I necessary.   If I'm not going to carry it, it's docked.

Also might be looked at as a form of security (when being carried),
since all the machines I'm using have very limited numbers of shell
accounts.  Taking the account away would reduce any chances of entry
through that account.  (Remind me not to ever attempt that with root,
lol :-)

> > You'd be screwed if you lost your USB pen :p
>
> I'm sure I would be, but no less than you'd be if your server or
> connection went south for the day. What with my lovely ISP being barely
> able to keep a DSL connection open for more than half an hour, I
> couldn't maintain a server at home. Not sure I could conscience the
> energy usage, either.

Just one of those things...  like spam, kinda.  No.  Better not go
there, lol.

Regards,
Scott.

--