USB Pen Drive User

David Colebatch david-nuEF980otx7IfpyC97YFaV6hYfS7NtTn at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 1 20:53:20 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 02 June 2004 4:36 am, Peter L. Peres wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Tim Writer wrote:
> > Why don't you just mount your pen drive on your home?  IOW,
> >
> >     # mount /dev/sda1 /home/scott
>
> More specifically, why don't you use automounter for this ? The
> automounter can be programmed to run a certain script before and after
> mounting. This can automate a number of things. You could refine it to the
> point where pulling the USB key would close your session, and putting it
> in would start it.
>
> The FS on the pen drive can be vfat, so that other os can read it. Linux
> handles vfat just fine.

NB: about vfat.  It's not the most reliable filesystem to use for this.  I've
had problems with USB key drives and vfat under linux... especially if it's
using USB 1.1 and the write speeds are slow...

Even without these little niggles I had, the other thing to consider is that
you can't have symlinks in vfat partitions AFAIK. Not to mention it being a
little slower!

If it's just for using under linux, use ext2.  You can always read/write to it
under windows using explore2fs.

-David