USB Pen Drive User

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 1 13:33:26 UTC 2004

David Colebatch wrote:

> So you do a checkout before you leave on the train, then commit when you reach
> your destination.

I do quite a few file exchanges whilst on the train. SVN would be no
help there. I also move quite a few binary files across several
platforms, something that versioning systems don't do well. I think I'm
still recovering from how SCCS did binary version management (hint: it
used uuencode and diff.)

> You'd be screwed if you lost your USB pen :p

I'm sure I would be, but no less than you'd be if your server or
connection went south for the day. What with my lovely ISP being barely
able to keep a DSL connection open for more than half an hour, I
couldn't maintain a server at home. Not sure I could conscience the
energy usage, either.

  Stewart