USB Pen Drive User

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 1 03:07:15 UTC 2004

On Monday 31 May 2004 22:33, Stewart C. Russell wrote:

> c'mon -- "lugging"? My 256MB SanDisk Cruzer weighs less than 15g, and is
> smaller than a Bic lighter.

Are you including a neckstrap in that 15g, seems a little light to me, guess I
should have put in the smiley after all ;-)

> The Subversion manual might as well start "Take three chickens and a
> sharp knife ...". It's decidedly user-fiendly. Unlike drag and drop with
> the USB drive.

I also have a cruzer, it contains my ssh keys and putty; I forget it in the
car, I forget it in my winter coat, I forget it on my other desk.

My "home directory" is really only relevant to a few machines, those machines
always have ready access to my subversion server.  The net is basically
always available, for me using the network seems far superior to using a
physical device that is likely to get lost (like my debit card 3 days ago and
my access card for work a week ago ;-)  Even for an often disconnected device
(laptop) I cannot think of a reason that I would not use svn, as long as it
can be reconnected occassionally file synchronisation is trivial.

I can't comment much on svn being fiendly, it may well be.  I have found the
svn command line very natural, almost intuitive (I've used perforce for the
past 3 years, I believe cvs also has a similar command syntax).