USB Pen Drive User

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 1 02:06:21 UTC 2004

On Monday 31 May 2004 21:27, Scott Elcomb wrote:

> I'm not entirely certain this is possible, but I'd like to try an
> experiment - carry my user id on a pen drive.
 [ snip ]
> Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.

No reason it won't work but what about this as an alternative ...

Everything that I care about is checked into subversion.  This includes most
of my home directory ("normal" files and config files).

It works very well for me.  Wherever I login I just do a "svn update" to grab
the latest versions of my files, when I'm done working on a system I either
check in any changed files or revert them.

This gives me a nearly complete consistent experience between my work desktop
and my home desktop.  All of my files are where I'm used to, my desktop icons
are identical, etc.

If you can easily get access to a common subversion server from all of your
machines you might find this easier than lugging around a pen drive.  I can
easily arrange svn access for myself either through my vpn or an ssh tunnel.