USB Pen Drive User

Scott Elcomb Scott.Elcomb-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 1 01:27:54 UTC 2004

Hello to all!

I'm not entirely certain this is possible, but I'd like to try an
experiment - carry my user id on a pen drive.

I've got a growing number of systems where I'm duplicating my
configurations, so the idea occurred to me to store my profiles (and
whatever other configuration files) on the drive and just carry them
with me.  :)

The only part that I'm pretty sure I've got down is this (sorry about
the perl, but I find it much easier to describe with :)

#Start -> ~/.bash_profile (or ~/.bashrc) calls ~/bin/mobile_user.pl

# Mobile_user.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl
my @conf_files = qw(~/.bashrc ~/.bash_profile ~/.procmailrc);    #etc.
my $pd_connected = get_pendrive_mount_point() || 0;
if($pd_connected) {
	backup_configs(@conf_files);
	create_symlinks(@conf_files, $pd_connected);
}
# funcs ...

On the surface it seems handy to me, but...  I can't think of anyway to
improve it (besides encryption ;).  I'm thinking about picking one up
soon, so I thought posting the idea might make it better (or work, lol)

Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.

--
Scott Elcomb
http://psema4.gotdns.com

PGP Public Key: