debian dependecy hell

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 31 15:25:11 UTC 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Christopher Browne wrote:

>> In general apt-get does not understand packages installed with dpkg -i
>> (why not ?).
>
> apt is aware of the packages for which you have sources defined in
> /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> If you install a barrel of packages that the packaging system doesn't
> have "sources" for, thereby _destroying_ the systems notion of
> dependancies, well, there's no surprise that this caused you grief.

But I did not do that at all. All libs were fetched from the internet via
apt-get install. Unfortunately I do not have a Debian cd here so I tried
to d/l as little as possible.

My source package requires some modern libraries, from testing/unstable.
The system itself says it is testing/unstable. More of the latter
apparently ;-) But again, *I* pushed the button.

> If you use dpkg to randomly install .deb files that you found somewhere
> on the Internet, then you are destroying the integrity of the packaging
> system, in _exactly_ the same manner that installing random .rpm files
> found using RpmFind.net will "break" an RPM-based system.

I did not install *any* random stuff. The way I understand it, I forcibly
updated a library on which kde depends and the apt system then tried to
update the entirety of kde (but it did not ask for upgrade, it asked
whether to remove the packages, and *I* said yes - my mistake ?).

> What you did was guaranteed to destroy the integrity of the
> distribution's capability to manage packages.  You're not going to
> _ever_ see an improvement on this.

I expect the distribution to be somewhat tolerant of people doing
non-standard things with it. F.ex. I ran Suse for a few years and it had
its package manager, and it did its thing, and I had my development stuff,
which I managed using tar.gz files, and we were happy together. Suse yast
would even refrain from overwriting config files which I edited and tell
me about it at each update/config run. I never had a problem of this kind
with yast (like adding my own devel library to the system and it trying to
tear down everything because of it).

> Pick another distribution, apply the same approach you took, and you'll
> get much the same set of grief, albeit with the possibility that another
> distribution might silently go along with the attempt to reinstall
> things before libraries crumble into a pile of crud.

The point is, I did, and they did not give me any grief. The only one more
intolerant was RH, it would overwrite things with a vengeance, leaving me
to chase changes in huge ls-lR files.

Peter