debian dependecy hell

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 29 23:18:07 UTC 2004

"Peter L. Peres" <plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Tim Writer wrote:
>
> > That looks like it's going to fix it although it is bringing in a lot of
> > libraries from unstable which may make you uncomfortable.
>
> I forced all of them after reading on the incompatibility
> issues. Unconfortable ? If my mail headers in the next emails will be
> different (from another machine) then you'll know I am unconfortable.
>

> debian was supposed to be easy ? Give me slackware any day or night.

I don't think any distribution has solved the dependency problem completely
yet.  Debian is easy if you stick with stable, unfortunately that means you
can't take advantage of recent developments.  It's also decent if you stick
with testing, at least that's my experience so far.  Mixing and matching
stable, testing, and unstable is possible but it can be difficult to resolve
dependency issues at times.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada