debian dependecy hell

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 29 19:51:24 UTC 2004

"Peter L. Peres" <plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Tim Writer wrote:
>
> > What does:
> >
> >    apt-get -s -t testing -f install
>
> when I run this w/o the -s and with proper package names it gives the same
> errors I posted in my first message.
>

> what does a line like:
>
> libglib2.0-dev: Depends: libglib2.0-0 (= 2.4.2-1) but 2.2.3-1 is to be installed
>
> mean ?

It means that libglib2.0-dev depends on libglib2.0-0 v. 2.4.2-1 but the
latest it can find is 2.2.3-1.  Note that "-t testing" raises the priority of
the testing distribution so that apt-get will consider packages from testing
in addition to stable.  I would guess that 2.4.2-1 is in unstable so you
would have to run:

    apt-get -t unstable -f install

You might be able to get fewer packages from unstable by using this sequence
of commands:

    apt-get -t unstable install libglib2.0-0
    apt-get -t testing -f install

IOW, install the "offending" package from unstable then try to get everything
else from testing.

[snip]

> HOW does one get a devel package that matches an existing library set ?

I believe, when you run:

    apt-get install libglib2.0-dev

it will select the lowest version that satisfies your priorities per your
/etc/apt/preferences.  For example, mine looks like this:

    Package: *
    Pin: release a=stable
    Pin-Priority: 500

    Package: *
    Pin: release a=testing
    Pin-Priority: 70

    Package: *
    Pin: release a=unstable
    Pin-Priority: 50

For me then:

    apt-get install libglib2.0-dev

is equivalent to:

    apt-get install libglib2.0-dev=2.0.1-2

cuz that's what's in stable.

In your case, things are a little complicated because, as I understand it,
you've already installed something that has a broken dependency.
Consequently, apt-get may need to install a newer version of libglib2.0-dev
to satisfy your broken dependency.

HTH,

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada