Linux enabled Shuttle PC

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 29 02:52:50 UTC 2004

> On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 12:53, Kareem Shehata wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 12:17, jim ruxton wrote:
> > > I was just wondering if anyone has put Linux on a Shuttle PC. I'd  like
> > > to get one and was wondering if there are any gotchas. I'll probably get
> > > the Pentium version hopefully with an Nvidia chip. Can anyone recommend
> > > a store in TO where they speak Linux and sell Shuttles?
> >
> > I wouldn't worry about the store speaking Linux.  Most sales clerks I've
> > seen are useless in any language.  Better to get the info beforehand,
> > then get it where it's cheapest.
> >
> > Alas, I haven't had the combination of time and money to grab one of
> > these, though I've heard it can be done.  I suppose the most important
> > thing is to make sure the chipset(s) are supported.
> >
> > Good luck, and let us know how it goes!  I'd love to use something less
> > noisy and prettier for my next box.
> >
> > Kareem
>
> What is a Shuttle PC exactly?  Is this a brand name or some sort of
> form factor?  I was looking on the web but couldn't only find pictures
> of the pc and not an explanation of what they are.  At any rate the
> pics make it look like the MiniQ pc that one of the guys has at work.
> He runs Mandrake on it quite fine.  I think he also had freeBSD on it.

Shuttle is a manufacturer...
<http://www.shuttle.com/hq/product/product_b_amd.asp>

The notable thing they build are relatively small form factor computers,
called XPC.  They're not minscule, but are sort of a "cubical" shape,
with practically everything integrated onto the XPC box.  Unsuitable for
doing anything high end; they're neither the cheapest thing you can get
nor the smallest.  It looks like a usable "luggable" computer...

OTA Computers at about College and Major carries numerous XPC models.
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
Rules of the Evil Overlord #209. "I will not, under any circumstances,