xhosts

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 28 16:25:57 UTC 2004

lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

> On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 04:33:00PM -0400, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> > Am I right that xhosts (enabling XWindows access from remote computers)
> > does not work with Fedora Core 1 (or, possibly, rather with the latest X
> > servers)?
>
> Well assuming you have the X server listening to TCP (not just unix
> sockets), then xhost is one method (the least secure by far) of allowing
> remote connections.  xauth transfer of the X authentication cookies is
> better, with SSH X forwarding being by far the most secure.
>
> If you know no one could be listening on your network, xhost and xauth
> will be faster than ssh but less secure, with xhost the simplest to use.

If you're sharing home directories throughout your network, xauth will be the
easiest to use as it will normally "just work" out of the box.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada