running procmail on the contents of /var/mail/$USER

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 28 15:49:22 UTC 2004

On July 28, 2004 09:20 am, William O'Higgins wrote:

> I recently had a hardware problem that caused a week's downtime, and
> when I first got up and running procmail was not set up, but fetchmail
> was.  The result is that I have a few hundred messages in
> /var/mail/$USER, none of which have been filtered through procmail,
> spamassassin, or razor.  I want to run the whole spoolfile through
> procmail, but I can't figure out how.

Presuming that your system is now correctly setup the easiest thing is
probably to remail the mail.  From memory (so take care) the command would be
something like this:

  formail -ds /usr/sbin/sendmail user at domain < /var/spoo/mail/user

Where user at domain is the local user's full email address
and /var/spool/mail/user is their misplaced mailbox.