make dep error

Noah John Gellner noah.gellner-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 28 06:21:51 UTC 2004

Jim,
What kernel version and distribution are you running? I am running a
2.6.x kernel and don't every type 'make dep'. I `make menuconfig` and then
`make modules modules_install install`. If I just wanted a to compile a
modules I would `make modules modules_install`.

As it is I try not to use modules as much as I can, but that is my
preference.

On 02:13 Wed 28 Jul     , jim ruxton wrote:
> Thanks Anton
> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > I assume you are talking about compiling a Linux kernel (from the
> > reference to xconfig and make dep).
> Actually I only wanted to "make modules" not a new Kernel. I read
> somewhere that "make dep" removes all the .a files. Anyway after I did
> "make dep" I could no longer do a "make modules" without lots of errors.
> I reinstalled the kernel sources and I think that fixed things. Are you
> saying that I could have just typed "undo" instead of reinstalling the
> sources?
> Jim
[snip]