xhosts

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 28 02:22:47 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 04:33:00PM -0400, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> Am I right that xhosts (enabling XWindows access from remote computers)
> does not work with Fedora Core 1 (or, possibly, rather with the latest X
> servers)?

Well assuming you have the X server listening to TCP (not just unix
sockets), then xhost is one method (the least secure by far) of allowing
remote connections.  xauth transfer of the X authentication cookies is
better, with SSH X forwarding being by far the most secure.

If you know no one could be listening on your network, xhost and xauth
will be faster than ssh but less secure, with xhost the simplest to use.

Lennart Sorensen