xhosts

Zbigniew Koziol zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 27 22:43:26 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 21:02, Peter L. Peres wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
>

> > Am I right that xhosts (enabling XWindows access from remote
computers)
> > does not work with Fedora Core 1 (or, possibly, rather with the
latest X
> > servers)?

Thanks, Peter, for your ideas.

> It probably works but the X server is configured not to listen on a
bsd
> sockt, only local. Check that there is a server port for X server in
> netstat or in 'file /proc/`pidof Xserver_name`/fd/*' or similar.

You are probably right, in some parts.

After a short unsucessfull guessing what is wrong, I come to this
article through google:

http://www.fedorazine.com/content/view/124/

That helped:

"if you really want to go back to the old behavior, the easiest way is
to edit your /etc/x11/gdm/gdm.conf file and uncoment the
DisallowTCP=true line in it and change it to be false, rather than true"

(except /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf, not /etc/x11/gdm/gdm.conf)

A comment for beginners in Linux:

I have a machine at home that works as my Internet gateway but also as a
real webserver. I develope web sites on that machine. I am used to
nedit, but nedit is an X application. It worked in the past (I could
start nedit on my webserver and see it on my real computer behind the
firewall), and now, by default, FC did not let me use it.

zb.