xml browser

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 23 17:53:43 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 01:20:45PM -0400, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> CRM (Customer Relationship Management) by MS is a quite complex and ugly
> .NET  program. But interesting for me (everything new is interesting;)
> The version I work on (1.0) does not have good documentation available.
> MS has though documentation for version 1.2 but these both are quite
> different. There are however XML files related to DLLs, and these files
> describe functionality of libraries used by the software.
>
> Question:
>
> Is there a sort of tool around (sure, for Linux better) which could be
> used for creating let say a collection of HTML files from these XML
> ones, to make my reading easier? I am must admit quite new to xml.

You can't just convert XML to anything.  XML is more like a filesystem
or database than it is like HTML.  It is all tags around values, where
the meaning of the tags is defined either in some dtd or such, but the
real meaning is basically what the application that uses the xml file
thinks it is.  You would basically need to know the meaning in order to
write something that can convert it to html, assuming the data makes any
sense as html at all.

And XML browser/editor may be able to show you the hierachy of the dtd
if you have a copy of it.

Lennart Sorensen