rsyncing feeling

Michael Galea michaelgalea-4VtgCsEi+FIybS5Ee8rs3A at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 22 16:08:39 UTC 2004

David J Patrick wrote:
> Michael Galea wrote:
>

>> If you don't have too many systems/users and you have control over
>> them, why not just normalize the UIDs/GIDs now?
>>
>> For a user (GID 1000, UID 1000) modify the /etc/passwd file (e.g.
>> 1000:1000 to 1001:1001)
>> Modify the /etc/group file (e.g. 1000 to 1001)
>

> check !
>
>> find / -xdev -uid 1000 -print -exec chown 1001 {} \;
>> find / -xdev -gid 1000 -print -exec chgrp 1001 {} \;
>

> makes sense of after a bit of RTFM
>

>> When I used to manage multiple systems I would either copy from
>> /etc/passwd
>

> you mean .. when performing the above operation, you'd get the values
> from /etc/passwd ?

Sometimes, when bringing up an exact copy of a server, I would just copy
the whole passwd file over.  Most often though, I would just copy
specific entries.  Note that I never had to manage more than about six
machines on a network of about 30-40 users.
Nowadays I am in the happier state of just managing my home network (2
hosts, 3 users!), where I create user accounts first on my
firewall/network share box, and then on the individual hosts.

>> or manually specify UID/GID at account creation time.
>

> That's what I'll do from now on,
> very helpful MG !
> thanks,
> djp