rsyncing feeling

John Macdonald john-Z7w/En0MP3xWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 22 14:17:20 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 08:55:00AM -0400, Michael Galea wrote:
> If you don't have too many systems/users and you have control over them,
> why not just normalize the UIDs/GIDs now?
>
> For a user (GID 1000, UID 1000) modify the /etc/passwd file (e.g.
> 1000:1000 to 1001:1001)
> Modify the /etc/group file (e.g. 1000 to 1001)
> find / -xdev -uid 1000 -print -exec chown 1001 {} \;
> find / -xdev -gid 1000 -print -exec chgrp 1001 {} \;
>
> When I used to manage multiple systems I would either copy from
> /etc/passwd or manually specify UID/GID at account creation time.

If you do have more than a couple of systems, you can look
into NIS or LDAP - they can be used to keep a single set
of account info used by a large number of systems, that
is important when you make changes because you don't have
to make the same change many times and run the danger of
skipping one or mistyping one.  (If you have more than one
copy of the same piece of data, the odds are exponential
that most of them are wrong.)