rsyncing feeling

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 22 12:38:26 UTC 2004

David J Patrick <davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> writes:

> daniel wrote:
>
> > you're right, the problem is very old, and not as easily solved without
> > complication.  see, the problem you're (probably) having is that user
> > "dave" is UID 1000 on one box, and say, UID 1002 on another.
>

> So, when creating users, on a new machine, if I keep the UIDs consistant,
> things should flow?

Yes.

> Must the names be the same?

No. Names are purely a convenience, the kernel doesn't care about names.

> Is the same true for GIDs ?

If you simply want to mount the USB stick as your home like this:

    % su
    # mount /dev/sda1 /home/david
    # exit
    %

the gids must match.  If you rsync in the manner I suggested, uids, gids,
names, etc. are pretty much a non-issue.

> And the passwords need not match, right ?

Right.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada