using only USB harddisks ?

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 21 20:57:35 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 04:16:19PM -0400, Taavi Burns wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 11:02:55PM -0400, Peter L. Peres wrote:
> >
> > >Anyone using USB harddisk?  I'm interested whether one could skip IDE
> > >and go USB for all harddisks.  I don't see any way to boot from USB on
> > >my BIOS... perhaps, newer motherboard has that option.
>
> Do you mean booting off of a USB memory key or more like an external
> USB2.0 IDE enclosure?  If the latter, you might also look at firewire
> (though I don't know how the BIOS support for that might be...)
> because it's faster in the end.

Not necessarily separate enclosure.  More like big computer case with 20
to 40 harddisks. :-)

Storage "cluster" made sense before.  But, with 300GB harddisk retailing
for $300 (and 500GB around the corner), "mainframe" model is making
sense again.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>
Toronto, Ontario, Canada