DVD stuff (was Re:CD burner not working with cd-rw anymore)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 21 20:23:47 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 03:30:02PM -0400, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> Yeah, I was pinching pennies hoping one day the Plextor would come down in
> price but I saw Greytech's ad for the Pioneer, got Pioneer and Plextor
> confused and by the time I realized the difference couldn't talk myself out
> of it.  Last I saw the Px708A was around $250.
>
> Do you burn a lot of DVDs?  Any media recommendations?  I'm only using it for
> backup purposes right now.  I done all of my testing with Memorex DVD+RWs and
> haven't come across any issues, I also have a bunch of DVD+Rs but I don't
> recall the brand right now.

We use it for backup.  Daily on DVD+RW, and weekly a full copy on DVD-R.

I can't currently remember the DVD-R brand, since the packaging doesn't
say.  They are only 4x though (8x was a bit pricey when I got the pack
of 25). I think it is some 5 letter name starting with R. :)  The DVD+RW
are Sony 4x.  No problems at all on the plextor with either media,
although these 4x DVD-R are apparently not one of the types it knows it
can safely do 8x on, so it doesn't.  Some types it will run faster than
the disk spec since it has been tested by plextor to work.  I don't
think any other drive does that.

The ability to upgrade firmware under linux (without even a reboot) is
certainly nice given it's in a Linux only server.

Lennart Sorensen