Failed to connect to server

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 19 18:28:29 UTC 2004

John Myshrall wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:56:21 -0400
> Chris Aitken <aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> > John Myshrall wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > >The issue can apply to your NIC as well. It has to do with module-init-tools. See this link.
> > >
> > >http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8171

<snip>

> What kernel are you booting too / want ?  This is to resolve the 2.6 known issues with knoppix. Remember it gives 2.4 and 2.6 options.

Yeah. I was happy to boot to 2.4, but you sent me this link that instructs installing knoppix 3.4 with 6.2 kernel and installing
module-init-tools. So, I thought I'd show some effort by doing it. Maybe you just meant for me to install module-init-tools but not the
2.6 kernel.

> For now when you boot to Kmoppix you would have to configure your  NIC everytime. Hmm this take all of about 30 seconds.

I don't begrudge the time it takes to configure the NIC. It's just that after I did I had a problem with ppp. I don't have the ppp problem
now anymore anyway as I re-installed knoppix 3.4 to the hard drive. However, I won't configure eth0 again until I know what I'm doing. I'm
clear on IP (192.168.0.2) and subnet mask (255.255.255.0) but I'm not clear on default gateway, braodcast IP, etc -- and there is no
option to ignore (and I don't know the ramifications of leaving them blank and hitting OK).

My other problem is printing -- neither cups nor ldp is working for me. I have another thread going for that. BTW, I haven't forgotten
your suggestion to give SuSE 9.1 Personal another try. However, for that one 'd prefer to be walked through it over the phone. I read a
long manual on installing SuSE (an older version) -- I couldn't find one for 9.1 -- for that I'd have to purchase a box set -- which I
might. I couldn't even play audio CDs when I installed 9.1. That didn't bode well for a production machine for a music lessons & recording
business.

All hardware and connections are fine on my system -- they work under knoppix and W98 (which I have on this system).

> I haven't looked at the update perhaps the fix may already be in. BTW Knoppix 3.3 does not have these issues, NIC or printing.

Yeah, I read that on the knoppix mailing list -- I think it's time I got high-speed so I can get software for myself. it sounds like
knoppix 3.3 would work just fine for me.

Chris