basic C question

Bob Findlay fcsoft-3Emkkp+1Olsmp8TqCH86vg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 13 16:18:10 UTC 2004

Thanks.

I did some reading myself and repeated my fifo experiments with O_RDONLY and
O_WRONLY and sure enough the SIGPIPE happens.    If you catch and ignore the
SIGPIPE you can make the write() return a -1.

Unfortunately,  when you open a fifo O_RDONLY and the other end isn't yet
opened for writing the open() call blocks.      This little tidbit makes a
mess of any select() logic one wants to initialize around that file
descriptor.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Seems like in this case you are damned if you do and damned if you don't ...
but I'll keep plugging ...