knoppix 3.4 hd install not printing

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 12 07:52:47 UTC 2004

I have installed knoppix 3.4 to my hard drive. Looks like the answer to
my prayers (i.e. sound works out-of-the-box). There are not many choices
when installing to the hard drive (via sudo knoppix-installer) so I
couldn't choose to install cups. However, the  installer did advise that
"kdm cupsysd will start with each boot". Alas, I can't print.

When I open 'Configure-Printing Manager' I get 'Initializing Manager..'
then:

Error - KDE Control Module
Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received for manager.
Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server correctly
installed and is running. Error: conection refused.

Trying to restart the Print Server I get:

Error - KDE Control Module
Unable to restart print server. Error message received for manager:
Unable to find a running CUPS server.

Any ideas for steps to troubleshoot this? I read the man page for cupsd
-- it's short and no help for this. It took me a few days to get
registered on the Agnula users list -- now I'm switching to knoppix live
3.4 (hard disk install) so I'll hunt for a  users list for that OS. I
would, however, like to print something tonight to my epson stylus c84
if I can.

At one point I was actuaklly able to create the icon for my printer
(correctly detected) -- but it disappeared without doint a successful
test print.

Chris