Weird networking problem

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 12 05:18:49 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 09:28, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Well you seem to have tried all the obvious solutions.
>
> What kind of firewall are you using?

The firewall is a linux box running RH9.  My tests have been done from
that box to rule out any weird NAT or firewall issues.

> What MTU do you run on your DSL link?

It is set automatically to 1464.

> If the firewall is Linux, does it happen to have ECN (explicit
> congestion notification) on?  Having that on will cause weird problems
> since there are many broken routers on the Internet that do the wrong
> thing when they encounter ECN packets.
>
> I wonder if some large chunk of the Internet is having routing issues
> that happens to cause problems, except that doesn't explain the machines
> at UoT.  Since the windows machine didn't work, that doesn't explain the
> ECN idea either.

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn gives 0 so it's definitely not ECN.

> The symptoms certainly are confusing in your case.

I know...I'm ready to just change IPs although I'm nervous about doing
that without knowing what happened and why.  I don't want to go through
this again some time later.

Regards,
--
Marcus Brubaker <marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>