Weird networking problem

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 12 05:12:07 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 04:48, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, Marcus Brubaker wrote:
>
> > Thanks to everyone (especially for reading this far!) for any help or
> > even positive thoughts.  I'm about ready to put my head through the wall
> > on this one.
>
> Hi Marcus.  Having bizarre connectivity issues due to "Path MTU Discovery"
> has not been uncommon with DSL (although I have not seen it recently).
> I actually don't think this is your issue but it should be ruled out.
>
> The ways to try to fix this are:
>
> 1.  Lower the MTU on your end of the DSL link (drop to 296 as a test case
>     and then bring it up)

The MTU is set to 1464 on the ppp interface.  Is that unusual?  I
changed it to 296 to see if that changed anything but it didn't.

> 2.  Turn off "Path MTU Discovery" on your end of the DSL link.

Turned it off with echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc (it was
on) but to no avail.  Do I need to restart networking for these changes
to take effect?

Thanks for the suggestions, though it looks like this isn't the issue.

Regards,
--
Marcus Brubaker <marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>