OT: Hardware RAID on linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 8 13:47:09 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 12:05:33PM +0800, JM wrote:
> btw.. have you ever tried upgrading disk capacity for raid 1?
>
> just like what I stated above?

Well I have added disks to a raid 5 on the serveraid before, and it
allows that, so I wouldn't be surprised if you could replace one disk
with a larger one, rebuild, then replace the other disk with a larger
one and rebuild, and then go into the serveraid management tool (can be
booted from the cd that comes with the serveraid card, or I guess you
can figure out a way to run the java stuff under linux yourself) and
then see if it will let you expand the raid volume to the full size of
the disks.  I would be surprised if it didn't allow it.  After that you
should see bigger disks in linux, which you can then create additional
partitions on, or resize your current partitions to fill the new size.

Lennart Sorensen