audio CDs won't mount or play

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 7 18:00:23 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 12:58:59PM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 12:09, Jing Su wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Out of curiosity, could I get a dump of your /etc/modprobe.conf file?
>
> alias eth0 e100
> alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
> install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 &&
> /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> remove snd-emu10k1 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
> /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1
> alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0
> install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
> /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
> /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
> alias usb-controller uhci-hcd
>
> > I suppose it's possible with two sound cards it's getting confused somehow
> > and trying to look for Audio CD on the wrong card.  You can disable the
> > Intel card by preventing its module from being loaded.  Hopefully this can
> > help narrow down the list of possible problems.
>
> I'm not sure how to disable it. "disabling" in the BIOS was ineffective.

Does playing the cd using xmms work (poiting xmms to where it's
preferences says the cdrom should be mounted lets you get at the
tracks)?

Do you actually have an audio cable from the cdrom drive you are using
down to the cd in on the sb live?

Newer versions of windows never use the audio connection to play cds,
but linux tends to.  I believe xmms and alsaplayer don't, while cdplay
and probably gnome's thingy do use the audio cable (and hence less cpu
load and less ide activity)

Lennart Sorensen