audio CDs won't mount or play

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 7 15:29:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 11:18:17AM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 09:48, Chris Aitken wrote:
> > System: FC2 on Compaq Deskpro EN (p733) 48X CD-ROM, backpack CD-RW, SBL!
> > 5.1, 20 GB hda, 10 GB hdb, USR V.92 56K external modem
> >
> > I can mount data CDs, but audio CDs won't mount or play:
>
> The only sound I get is when I hit the 'Play test sound' button in
> System Settings > Soundcard detection. Both the SBL! and Intel onboard
> play the test sound -- interesting that the Intel onboard would play
> since I disabled that card in the BIOS. I guess FC2 overrides the BIOS
> (?!).

Perhaps it does!

Have you tried the programs suggested?  In xmms you can tell xmms to use
digital audio extraction, which (if it works at all) will play the sound
through the same PCM subsystem as the test sounds under System Settings.
If you can't play through regular CD audio, check in your mixer to ensure
that that channel is not muted, and check that you actually have an audio
cable going from the CDROM dirve to the soundcard.

NB: your backpack CD-RW probably won't have an audio cable; you can use
DAE if it works, otherwise use headphones or your 48x CDROM.

--
taa
/*eof*/