audio CDs won't mount or play

Jing Su jingsu-26n5VD7DAF2Tm46uYYfjYg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 7 15:28:56 UTC 2004

> The only sound I get is when I hit the 'Play test sound' button in
> System Settings > Soundcard detection. Both the SBL! and Intel onboard
> play the test sound -- interesting that the Intel onboard would play
> since I disabled that card in the BIOS. I guess FC2 overrides the BIOS
> (?!).

the 'Play test sound' button plays digital audio data through the
sound-card's processor.  Audio CD should have its sound pass through the
sound-card without needing any processing.

Do you have XMMS installed?  Are you able to play WAV or MP3 files?

>From the command line, try running:
cdp

cdp is a pretty common command-line CD-playing program.  If you have it,
it should start playing tracks off your audio-cd.  Hopefully this will at
least give a hint as to whether or not everything is configured right and
working.