Stupid Mutt Question

Andy Jack f.e.jack-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 6 13:05:03 UTC 2004

Relevant lines in my .muttrc:

set mbox_type=Maildir
set folder={beluga}INBOX.
set spoolfile={beluga}
set record==Sent-Mail
unset mbox

"set mbox_type" is probably obvious.  "set folder" sets the default
folder (e.g., opened when mutt starts or you change to the "!" folder).
"beluga" is the name of my imap server, so the default folder in this
case is set to INBOX. (the dot is important, and I'm running courier
imapd).  "set spoolfile" sets the folder that is referenced by the "="
shortcut; "set record" sets the default folder to which newly composed
messages are saved, so it's really {beluga}Sent-Mail.  "unset mbox" is
possibly redundant to "set mbox_type=Maildir", but it ensures that mutt
won't try to write an mbox.  Note that I have not specified any local
mail storage, all my mail stays on the courier imap server.  I find this
easier because then access to all my mail is tied to the server and not
the client I'm using; I could read email with mutt on one machine,
Mozilla mail on a second, &c.

Hth,
Andy