Using Microsoft keyboard hot keys

Andy Jack f.e.jack-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 3 11:11:57 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 12:07:32AM -0400, Anton Markov wrote:
> I have a "Microsoft" keyboard (the most basic one, I think), which has a
> set of additional buttons above the function keys - "back", "forward",
> "stop", etc. How can I bind these keys to events in KDE (say shell
> scripts or DCOP calls)? The KDE KHotkeys system does not recognize the
<...>

Hi; while this isn't an answer to your question it may lead you in the
right direction.  I had one of these MS keyboards set up to work with
hotkeys under FluxBox.  In XF86Config I had:

Option "XkbModel"  "microsoftinet"

Using "xev" and pushing all the extra buttons you can see the messages
each keypress/unpress event generates and figure out the button names.
They were things like "XF86Back", "XF86Forward", "XF86MyComputer", and
so on.  xev will also tell you if X is actually getting events from
keypresses... maybe this is why you can't input them into KHotKeys?

While FluxBox doesn't have a decent interactive key editor (that I've
foudn) I could add a line to ~/.fluxbox/keys like:

None XF86MyComputer :ExecCommand aterm
Shift XF86Stop :ExecCommand xmms --stop

So I think your challenge now is to see if the KHotKeys will accept
these long event names somehow...

HTH,
Andy