Home Servers

Rob Sutherland rob-HoWcdTCbwWKHoZZAE0nKLw at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 2 18:35:21 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:27:58 -0400
William O'Higgins <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I am looking into serving web and mail from home, but I'd prefer not to
> use a high power-draw machine like a typical desktop.  Are there
> inexpensive server appliances that are worth recommending that draw less
> than 300W?  I recall the Cobalt Qube servers which seemed to do very
> nicely, but since Sun ate Cobalt they don't seem to make the entry-level
> non-rack server products any more.

I've found using a used desktop in the .5 to 1 Ghz. range with E-Smith or SME
server or whatever they're calling it now to be a good combination. It's basically
a stripped linux distro with a web admin interface.

http://www.memeshadow.net/twiki/bin/view/Main/Esmith

Rob

Rob Sutherland - rob-HoWcdTCbwWKHoZZAE0nKLw at public.gmane.org
Computer Support at http://www.cheapersafer.com